Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wig Shopping

Since chemo starts on Wednesday I wanted to have at least one wig picked out and ready to go. I'm not sure how fast I'll lose my hair, but if I don't feel great, I wanted to be prepared. I wanted to have my boys come with me. My little Nathan and Drew have been so concerned about my hair. Last Sunday I tried a wig on at my sister in law's house, but the wig was blonde....needless to say that did not sit well with my boys! Nathan had a really hard day at school that following Monday and I really think it was because he was thinking about me with blonde hair. They said that is not their mom and that I promised I would get a wig that made me look like me. I took the blonde wig off and promised not to wear it again.

So we headed to the wig store on Saturday and had a good time. The boys had the ultimate say on the wig I picked, but I actually like a few of them. I'll probably go buy another wig in a while, but I've at least got one for now. I'd love to hear which wig you guys like:)



The boys said absolutely not:


Skyler:


Nathan:


Drew:




My favorite:


Hat with built in hair for days I don't want a wig..need to go and get one of these...




This was my boys favorite, so it was the one I got:


Did it help relieve the fear of losing my hair?? Absolutely! I wish I could keep my own, but knowing I won't look like a completely freaky, sick, cancer patient, helps ease those fears. I can go out in public and most people won't know anything is different.

But let's be honest, I worry most about having to take my hair off and get in bed with Ryan. Does Ryan really want to have sex with a bald Natalie? To lay there and see the moonlight reflect off my head???.....Freak NO. Oh, don't get me wrong...he says he won't mind at all....he would take a bald Natalie any day over a Natalie with a full head of hair but sick with cancer. Fine, nice pc answer. I know he means it, he really does! But deep down, it will have to unnerve him. I know it will be strange to get use to seeing me bald.

As a woman, hair is a big part of our identity. It's a lot of what makes us, us. Maybe I shouldn't speak for all woman, but for me, it is significant. Ryan's biggest worry right now is how I will react to losing my hair.....and I think he is justified in that worry. Quite frankly, I AM worried about how I will react.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I think I burst a splean laughing at the description of the moon reflecting off your bald head... You crack me up.
    Laughter is the best medicine, that is how I get through hard things as you know :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always one to make me smile! I have to agree with the boys! I love the wig, you got. I think it looks the most like you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys crack me up!!!!! Love the pictures! And I love the one you picked out!

    ReplyDelete