Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tomorrow is One Week

I cannot believe that it has been one week since my treatment. What side effects have I had?? Well thankfully, nothing too horrific. The day of treatment and the next 3 days were the worst, but nothing unmanagable. It is pretty amazing how tired you can all of the sudden become. Right after my treatment, I felt great and had Ryan take me to the store. We had walked around for about 30 minutes when suddenly, my legs gave out and I could hardly walk.

And that is how it is. I will be doing just fine, and then, wham...I hit my wall and I have to lay down. I've noticed that if I want anything done, it has to be done in the morning. By about 1:00, I hit my wall and never really recover. So without fail, if you try to call between 1 and 3...I am most likely asleep:)

Then...my taste buds have drastically changed. My stomach burns a lot, almost like constanst reflux. And I have the most terrible taste in my mouth at ALL times. Foods that I use to love are not so good anymore...number one difference...chocolate...not too found of that right now. Plus, jolly ranchers are too hard on my stomach and mouth, it really hurts to eat those. I do feel like I have to be constantly chewing gum or sucking on Wether's Originals because my mouth is SOOOO dry and has a weird film. I've also noticed that I cannot drink anything out of a metal can...ie...soda from a can, water out of a metal water bottle, etc...it has to come from plastic. Water is pretty nasty now anyway, but I can at least stomach it if it comes in a plastic cup.

And the nulasta shot...talk about aching bones. They told me to take a Claritin, of all things, to help with that pain. But it feels like someone is inside my body, scraping my joints and bones with a jigsaw hammer to get those last white blood cells out. It is pretty amazing how achy I can get. My neck feels so tied to my head at times, I can hardly move or rotate it.

The other side effect is my prednisone pills...um, yep, some serious weight gain going on. Not only that, I take them first thing in the morning and they still keep me up half the night!! I am so tired and just want to sleep, but those pills have a way of making that not happen. How do I counter that?? Well, I've tried tylenol pm, but that does NOTHING! So my doctor gave me a sleeping/anxiety pill...oh yep...love that pill...I sleep like a baby....but then I cannot wake up in the morning:)

Like I said, I really can't complain. I feel very blessed that I haven't been too sick and miserable...go grateful for those little blessings. I can deal with tired:) And knock on wood....NO HAIR LOSS YET!!:) I know I need to prepare myself, but I just keep hoping....I won't get that side effect;)

No comments:

Post a Comment