Sunday, May 22, 2011

Relay for Life

My sister Jamie has worked at one of my favorite stores (Maurices) for almost 2 years now. Every year Maurices teams up with the American Cancer Society to raise funds. This year, Jamie is responsible for putting a relay team together, raising funds for American Cancer Society and organizing a booth at the relay.

This year the relay is July 8th and 9th at Riverton City Park. It is a 24 hour relay. Someone on the team has to be on the track at all times....pretty cool!! And yes, I have joined the team:) They are looking for team members, donations for a raffle(ie. gift cards, gift baskets, scarfs, hats, etc.) and then good old fashion money donations. They have luminarias at the event that you can buy and then put a picture on the luminaria of someone that is or has been affected by cancer. That night, the track will be lit with all the luminarias sold for this event.

If anyone is interested in getting involved or making donations you can contact Jamie at jamieha12@yahoo.com. You can, also, go to the teams website and there: join the team, buy a luminaria, or make a donation.
Click here to visit the team site.

If you want to be on the team.... it will ask you to find a team. Click on the list of organizations, find Maurices. The team name is Lighting a Life, click on team captain, Jamie. If you want to register for the team, click on team member registration.

Jamie also gave me a bracelet that reads hope. They sell this bracelet at Maurices for $5 and the proceeds go to American Cancer Society. I love wearing this bracelet and those that I know personally who are wearing this bracelet in support of me. It is another way to support the fight of cancer (and the bracelet is way cute:))


I personally just have to say that I am so grateful for all the research and funding and organizations that put these events on....all of which...go to fight against cancer. Without people willing to donate and make a difference, I would be fighting a much different battle. I have been given the privilege of using the anti nausea and white blood cell rebuilding shots that came from donations and research, medicines that were not even available 5 to 10 years ago.

Thank you to all who make this battle easier to fight and win!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment