As I went to bed last night I was getting pretty nervous about this procedure. I've heard this is not a very fun biopsy, one lady said it was the worst part of it all. I did opt for a sedation, I really don't enjoy pain.
Ryan and I got the hospital this morning 7 to begin this fun process. We checked in and headed back with the nurses. You have to love all the questions that nurses ask you. I must say, if your going to be a nurse, please be a good one. It makes sure a difference to have a happy, nice nurse, versus a cranky one. Happily, todays was great. He is going through my questions and asks: "Any chance you could be pregnant?" "Heck No" I reply. His reply: "How do you know that?" Me: "Considering I got my last kid through invitro..I think I'm pretty safe:)"
I ask the nurse, what I should expect for this procedure. He goes on to tell me that they will put a needle into my bone and pull out some marrow. It will feel like a bee sting when they numb my back to go into the pelvis, then it will feel like a charlie horse as they pull the marrow out. After that you will feel like you have a dull toothache type of pain at the site for a few days. I say to the nurse, "but I thought I opted for some type of sedation." He says, "you did. But you will most likely be conscious and aware of whats going on."
AWESOME!! Just the type of fun I've been waiting to have.
They take me back to the procedure room and the doctor comes in. He asks me if I'm ready for this and I reply, "No, I'm still completely aware of everything!" He replies, "No worries, I'll fix that soon."
I roll over onto my stomach and I start to get really nervous. I keep telling myself: it can't be worse than contractions, just breathe through the pain.
I hear the nurse say, "I've just given her some fentenal(?)." The doctor then says, "give her some" (and names a medicine I don't know). Next thing I know....I'm waking up in the recovery room with Ryan right by me!! Seriously wait a lightweight:) It's a good thing I'm not a drinker, I wouldn't be able to hold my liquor at all:) I didn't feel a thing, nor do I remember anything...I was OUT COLD!! Ryan brought me home and I was out for the next 3 hours and I think as soon as I finish this, I'm going back to sleep:) I feel very hung over and tired.
The preliminary results could be back as early as tomorrow. But the final will be back in a week. We will then know if the cancer is in my bone marrow.
On a side note...I am so glad that Ryan went back to work after the procedure. One of my biggest stresses is his job. We NEED this job. I have kind of freaked out about the cost of cancer! But with his job, we will be fine. So I've made him promise me that he will take care of that part of our lives as well. If he needs to go away for work, he needs to go and not pass it off to others. I know that I have enough people willing to help me if he has to go away. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him gone as much as he has been lately. But I can deal with once a month for a week. So as much as I wish he never had to leave, I am SOOO grateful he is at work right now:)
Natalie. I just heard the news today. I'm so so sorry that you are going through this. I just wanted you to know that when I was pregnant with the twins my dad was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. They found it in his bowels. It has been over 5 years now. No sign of cancer. It was the hardest trial of his life...but he beat it!
ReplyDeleteWe will be praying for you and your family. You have an amazing spirit and attititude towards this. You are inspiration to all of us!