Monday, July 11, 2011

Tender Mercies

A couple of weeks ago we had a lesson in Relief Society on the Lord's Tender Mercies. I loved the lesson and part of what I took from that lesson was that so often, we want to brush things off as coincidence or think nothing off it. But that if we really stop and look at life, we will see how often our Heavenly Father is present in every thing. That He loves each of us and wants to bless us and does bless us all the time....we just need to recognize those blessing. Then, when we do recognize those tender mercies, we need to write them down.

Also, tender mercies are tailor made. They are made for you as an individual and what you need in your life at that time. To someone else, it wouldn't mean anything, but to you, it is exactly what you need. I have had tender mercies shown me and I think I didn't really appreciate them as that. Well, this time, I did see it as a tender mercy of my Heavenly Father....

I have been dreading this round of chemo. Everyone keeps saying that it is your last...be excited for that. BUT....I just can't....I am dragging my feet kicking and screaming the whole way, knowing it was coming as soon as my sister and her family went home.

I love decorating and changing my house. We decided for Abbey's 4th birthday, she would finally get a "big girl bed". We went in to get her bed and they told us it would be available in 8 weeks...perfect...that would literally be the day of her birthday. That night they called and said the bedroom set would be ready to be picked up on Wednesday, July 13th....THE DAY AFTER CHEMO!! I was so bummed. I wanted to be able to put her room together and now I would feel miserable and not be able to help.

Then, Nathan breaks his arm. The doctor said that we would need to leave it in a splint for 2 weeks and that we would put the cast on....on July 13th...again..the day after chemo!! My heart just sank. As a mom, you always want to be there for your kids. I know that Ryan is capable of doing both things....but Ryan has never taken the kids to a doctor's appointment. I am always there.

I know this sounds silly to others, but honestly, those two events happening the day after chemo, just made me feel so down and frustrated with this stupid cancer business.

So Wednesday of last week, I took Nathan into the doctor for the x-ray that he had ordered. While there, the doctor decided that it would be best to put the cast on that day....I was able to be there with Nathan when he got his cast put on:) I instantly had this emotion of gratitude come over me. I had been so concerned about not being there and then...sure enough...I was there.



Then the next day, Thursday, I had the thought come to me that I should just call the store and see if her bed had come in early. I called the store and yep...her bed was there!! I called my friend, who let me use her car and I drove right to the store and picked up her bed. I was able to help put her room together...and as silly as it is...it meant so much to me! It is just part of being a mother and enjoying my kids and my life.



Not that I am now happy for chemo tomorrow, I'm still kicking, just not screaming:) But the two things that were causing me so much frustration were taken away. And I choose to believe, the Lord, who knows me perfectly....gave me my own tender mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment